This paper responds primarily to the problem of blind following and unconscious dependence, specifically in the field of education “tarbiyah”. This phenomenon prevents independent innovation and qualitative development in our Islamic nation “Ummah”. Furthermore, this phenomenon has manifested itself clearly in the concept of education “tarbiyah” because it is occupied by foreign connotations relating to philosophical and cultural foundations that differ significantly from the authentic intellectual system of the Islamic nation “Ummah”. The genuine connotations of the concept have not only been left out of our educational organizations but have also nearly been lost entirely.
The response this paper brings forth is an attempt at liberation from these foreign connotations through the pursuit of reviving the authentic concept of “tarbiyah” in light of the Qur’anic teachings. The Qur’anic teachings were chosen as the reference point because of their importance in authenticating and constructing conceptual systems within the Islamic nation “Ummah”. This was achieved first by conducting a precise semantic analysis of the word “tarbiyah” from the Arabic lexicons. This was an important process due to its significance as a methodological foundational step in the analytical authentication of the concept. This paper also aims to display the extent of the richness of the authentic connotations of the term “tarbiyah”. The term “tarbiyah” is defined in the original references that explain the meanings of Qur’anic terminology because such terminology is used in those references with rich authentic connotations. By implementing these analytical processes, the paper presents a comprehensive examination for the authentic characterization of the concept “tarbiyah” and then analyzes this definition in light of the Qur’an.
The authentic concept of “tarbiyah” semantic analysis the supreme reference for authentication
• Abd al-Ḥaq, Ṣalaḥ Ismail, Tawḍiḥ al-Mafahim: Darurah Marifyyah, (in Arabic), a study published in Bina al-Mafahim: Dirasah Marifyyah wa Namathij Taṭbiqiyyah, Ibrahim al-Bayyumi Ghanim & others (Cairo: Dar al-Salam li al-Ṭibaah wa al-Nashr wa al-Tawzi wa al-Tarjamah, 2008).
• Abd al-Raḥman Ṭaha, Fiqh al-Falsafah: al-Qawl al-Falsafi Kitab al-Mafhum wa al-Tathil, (in Arabic), (Casablanca: al-Markaz al-Thaqafi al-Arabi, 2005).
• Aِl-Attas, Syed Muhammd Naquib Al-Attas, The Islamic Concept of Education: A Framework for an Islamic Philosophy of Education, (Kuala Lumpur: Ta’dib International, 2018).
• Al-Aṣfahani, al-Raghib, Mufradat al-Faẓ al-Quran, (in Arabic), (Damascus: 1433 A.H./2011).
• Al-Aṣfahani, al-Raghib, Tafṣil al-Nashatayn wa Taḥsil al-Sadatayn, (in Arabic), (Beirut: Dar Maktabat al-Ḥayah, 1983).
• Albani, Abd al-Raḥman, Madkhal ila al-Tarbiyah, (in Arabic), (Damascus: al-Maktab al-Islami, 1983).
• Al-Bayḍawi, Abdullah b. Umar, Anwar al-Tanzil wa Asrar al-Tawil, (in Arabic), (Beirut: Dar Iḥya al- Turath al-Arabi, 1418 A.H.).
• Al-Bukhari, Muḥammad b. Ismail, Ṣaḥiḥ Al-Bukhari, (in Arabic), (Dar Ṭawq al-Najah, 1422 A.H.).
• Al-Buṭi, Muḥammad Said Ramaḍan, al-Ḥikam al-Aṭaiyyah: Sharḥ wa Taḥlil, (in Arabic), (Damascus: Dar al-Fikr, 1430 A.H./2009).
• Al-Ghamidi, Thiyyab b. Sad al-Ḥamdan, Ẓahirat al-Fikr al-Tarbawi fi al-Qarn al-Khamis al-Hijri, (in Arabic), (n.d., n.p, 1431 A.H.).
• Al-Jurjani, Ali b. Muḥammad, al-Tarifat, (in Arabic), (Cairo: Dar al-Faḍilah, n.d.).
• Al-Kubaysi, Muḥammad Ayyash, al-Muḥkam fi Al-Aqidah, (in Arabic), (Doha: Alam li al-Fikr wa al Thaqafah, 1424 A.H./2003).
• Al-Mayman, Badriyyah Ṣaliḥ Abdul-Raḥman, Naḥwa Taṣil Islami li Mafhumay al-Tarbiyah wa Ahḍafiha: Dirasah fi Al-Taṣil al-Islami li al-Mafahim, (in Arabic), (Riyadh: Dar Alam al-Kutub li al-Nashr wa al- Tawzi, 1422 A.H.).
• Al-Muṣliḥ, Ismail Abu Bakr, Idarat al-Madrasah al-Qaṭariyyah min al-Tasyir ila al-Taṭwir, (in Arabic), (a study published in the book of studies submitted for the conference on “Educational Leadership and Future Needs” in the College of Education, Kuwait University, in the period 7-9 March 1999).
• Al-Nisaburi, Muslim b. al-Ḥajjaj al-Qushayri, Ṣaḥiḥ al-Imam Muslim, (in Arabic), (Beirut: Dar Iḥya al- Turath al-Arabi, n.d.).
• Al-Razi, Muḥammad b. Umar b. al-Ḥasan, Mafatiḥ al-Ghayb, (in Arabic), (Beirut: Dar Iḥya al-Turath al- Arabi, 1420 A.H.).
• Al-Ṭabri, Abu Jafar, Jami al-Bayan an Tawil al-Quran, (in Arabic), ed. Aḥmad Muḥammad Shakir, (Dar Hajar li al-Ṭibah wa al-Nashr wa al-Tawzi, 1422 A.H./2001).
• Al-Tirmithi, Muḥammad b. Isa, Sunan al-Tirmithi, (in Arabic), (Cairo: Maṭbay Muṣṭafa al-Babi al-Ḥalabi, 1395 A.H./1975).
• Al-Zamakhshari, Maḥmud b. Amr, al-Kashaf an Ḥaqaiq Ghawamid al-Tanzil, (in Arabic), (Beirut: Dar al-Kitab al-Arabi, 1407 A.H.).
• Ibn Ashur, Muḥammad al-Ṭahir, al-Taḥrir wa al-Tanwir, (in Arabic), (Tunisia: al-Dar al-Tuwnisiyyah, 1984).
• Ibn Faris, Abu al-Ḥusayn Aḥmad, Al-Sahibi fi Fiqh Allughah wa Masailiha wa Sunan Al-Arab fi Kalamiha, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar Al-Kutub Al-Ilmiyyah, 1997).
• Ibn Faris, Abu al-Ḥusayn Aḥmad, Mujam Maqayis al-Lughah, (in Arabic), ed. Abd Al-Salam Harun, (N.P., Dar al-Fikr, 1979).
• Ibn Manẓur, Muḥammad b. Makram, Lisan al-Arab, (in Arabic), (Beirut: Dar Ṣadir, 1414 A.H.).
• Ibn Taymiyyah, Ahmad b. Abd Al-Halim, al-Risalah al-Akmaliyyah fi ma yajibu lillahi min Ṣifat al- Kamal, (in Arabic), (Cairo: Maṭbat al-Madani, 1403 A.H./1983).
• Izutsu, Toshihiko, The Structure of the Ethical Terms in the Koran: A Study in Semantics, Toshihiko Izutsu, (Tokyo: Keio Institute of Philological Studies, 1959).
• Nawfal, Muḥammad Nabil, Dirasat fi al-Fikr al-Tarbawi al-Muaṣir, (in Arabic), (Cairo: Alam al-Kutub, 1988).
• Quṭb, Sayyid, Fi Ẓilal al-Quran, (in Arabic), (Beirut & Cairo: Dar al-Shuruq, 1978).
• Sahin, Abdullah, “Critical Issues in Islamic Education Studies: Rethinking Islamic and Western Liberal Secular Values of Education” in Religions, (Basel: Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute (MDPI), 2018, 9, 335).