Religious extremism is a widespread phenomenon found in Muslim societies, and it has become extremely harmful to Islam and the propagation of Islam’s message. One of the most important methods of countering this phenomenon is through ideological pedagogy. Ideological pedagogy should be rooted in an established and methodical teaching of the Islamic sciences and in the practical human sciences and should be conveyed through interactive and self-teaching didactic methods. This strategy is capable of nurturing minds to exhibit a wide range of essential intellectual qualities, such as freedom of thought, comprehensive research skills, ability to maintain a realistic perspective, and critical comparative thinking. Minds that possess these intellectual qualities are capable of conducting their own religious research to reach conclusions that are within the confines of God’s laws, without transgressing and adopting radicalism that may lead to terrorism.
Religious extremism ideological pedagogy freedom of thought God’s laws radicallism terrorism
• Al-Jurjani, Ali bin Muhammad al-Sharif, al-Tarifat, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Maktabat Lubnan, 1985).
• Al-Mubarrid, Abu al-Abbas Muhammad ibn Yazid, al-Kamil fi al-lughah wa al-Adab, (In Arabic), (Cairo: Dar al-Fikr al-Arabi, 1997).
• Al-Razi, Muhammad bin Omar Fakhr al-Din, al-Muhassal, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar al-Kitab al Lubnani, 1984)
• Al-Shatibi, Abu Ishaq Ibrahim ibn Musa al-Lakhmi, al-Itisam, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar al-Marifa)
• Al-Shatibi, Abu Ishaq Ibrahim ibn Musa al-Lakhmi, al-Muwafaqat, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar al-Marifa).
• Al-Zarnuji, Burhan al-Din, Talim al-Mutallim Turuq al-Tallum, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar Ibn Kathir, 1985).
• Badawi, Abd al-Rahman, Mathahib al-Islamiyyin, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar al-Ilm lil Malayin, 1979).
• Ibn al-Qayyim, Abu Abdillah Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr, Ilam al-Muwaqqin, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-Ilmiyyah, 1993).
• Ibn Ashur, Muhammad al-Tahir, al-Tahrir wa al-Tanwir, (In Arabic), (Tunisia: al-Dar al-Tunusiyyah li al-Nashr).
• Ibn Ashur, Muhammad al-Tahir, Maqasid al-Shariah, (In Arabic), (Tunisia: al-Dar al-Tunusiyyah li al-Nashr).
• Ibn Hajar, Abu al-Fadl Shihab al-Din Ahmad bin Ali, Fath Al-Bari, (In Arabic), (Cairo: Dar Al- Rayyan li al-Turath, 1986).
• Ibn Sina, Abu Ali al-Husayn bin Abdillah, Al-Isharat wa al-Tanbihat, (In Arabic), ed. Sulayman Dunya, (Cairo: al-Halabi, 1947).
• Iqbal Mohammad, Tajdid al-Tafkir al-Dini fi al-Islam, (In Arabic), (Cairo: Lajnat al-Talif wa al- Tarjamah wa al-Nashr, 1968).
• Khatib al-Baghdadi, Abu Bakr Ahmad bin Ali, Tarikh Baghdad, (In Arabic), ed. Bashar Awwad, (Beirut: Dar al-Gharb al-Islami, 2001).
• Muhammad Mahfuz, Tarajim al-Muallifin al-Tunusiyyin, (Beirut: Dar al-Gharb al-Islami, 1994).
• Najjar, Abdul-Majid, Dawr al-Hurriyyah fi Muwajahat Zahirat al-Tatarruf, (In Arabic), Paper Published in: Zahirat al-Tatarruf wa al-Unf, (Qatar: Markaz al-Buhuth wa al-Dirasat, Wizarat al- Awqaf, 2007).
• Najjar, Abdul-Majid, Dawr Hurriyyat al-Rai fi Wihdat al-Muslimin, (Virginia: al-Mahad al-Alami li al-Fikr al-Islami, 1992).