The study responds to the call for the equal distribution of inheritance shares between male and female heirs. The paper also answers the following questions:
- What is the inheritance distribution for male and female heirs in the Holy Quran?
- What is the new vision that is being advocated regarding the equal distribution of inheritance between male and female heirs?
- Does this new vision coincide with the distribution set by the Holy Quran?
This study followed descriptive, inductive, and analytic approaches, and it reached the following conclusions:
• There is no dispute among Muslims that the male heir receives double the shares of the female heir when they both inherit simultaneously; when a female heir inherits alone, she receives half of the shares; and when two or mmore female heirs inherit and no male heir is present, they receive two thirds of the shares.
• This new vision of equal inheritance between male and female heirs applies to two scenarios: in the case of only one female heir and in the case of two female heirs; however, in other cases, the male heir’s shares are double that of a female heir.
• The application of this new vision not only causes confusion regarding the inheritance of children, but it also deprives both the parents and the spouse of the deceased of their inheritances. This new vision was not based on a clear view of reality since it does not address these other possible inheritance scenarios.
Fabrications doubts male inheritance female inheritance women’s rights
• Al-Buhuti, Mansur bin Yunus, Kashaf Al-Qina an Matn Al-Iqna, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Alam Al-Kutub, 1983).
• Al-Fayruzabadi, Majd Al-Din Abu Tahir Muhammad bin Yaqub, Al-Qamus Al-Muhit, (in Arabic), ed. Maktab Tahqiq Al-Risala, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Muassasat Al-Risalah, 2005), 8th ed..
• Al-Hamlawi, Ahmed bin Muhammad, Shatha Al-Arf fi Fan Al-Sarf, (In Arabic), (Riyadh: Maktabat Al-Rushd).
• Al-Razi, Fakhr al-Din, Mafatih Al-Ghayb, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar Ihya Al-Turath Al-Arabi, 1999), 3rd ed..
• Al-Sawi, Ahmed bin Muhammed al-Khalwati, Hashiyat Al-Sawi ala Al-Sharh Al-Saghir, (In Arabic), (Cairo: Dar Al-Marifah).
• Al-Shirbini, Shams al-Din, Muhammad ibn Ahmad Al-Khatib, Mughni Al-Muhtaj ila Marifat Mani Alfaz Al Minhaj, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar Al-Kutub Al-Ilmiyyah, 1994) 1st ed..
• Al-Tabari, Muhammad Ibn Jarir, Jami Al-Bayan fi Tawil Al-Quran, (in Arabic), ed. Ahmad Muhammad Shakir (Beirut: Muasasat Al-Risalah, 2000), 1st ed.
• Al-Thalabi, Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Ibrahim, Al-Kashf wa Al-Bayan an Tafsir Al-Quran, (in Arabic), ed. Abu Muhammad ibn Ashur, (Beirut: Dar Ihya Al-Turath Al-Arabi, 2002), 1st ed.
• Al-Zamakhshari, Abu Al-Qasim Mahmud ibn Amr, Al-Kashaf an Haqaiq Ghawamid Al-Tanzil, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar al-Kitab al-Arabi, 1986), 3rd ed.
• Al-Zubaydi, Al-Sayyid Muhammad Murtada, Taj Al-Arus min Jawahir Al-Qamus, (in Arabic), ed. Dahi Abdul-Baqi, (Kuwait: Al-Majlis Al-Watani li Al-Thaqafa wa Al-Funun wa Al-Adab, 2001), 1st ed..
• Al-Zuhayli, Wahba bin Mustafa, Al-Tafsir Al-Munir fi Al-Aqidah wa Al-Shariah wa Al-Manhaj, (In Arabic), (Beirut: Dar Al-Fikr Al-Muasir, 1997), 2nd ed..
• Al-Samani, Mansur bin Muhammad bin Abdul-Jabbar, Tafsir Al-Quran, (in Arabic), ed. Yasir bin Ibrahim, Ghnayyim Abbas, (Riyadh: Dar Al-Watan, 1997), 1st ed.
• Andrée Feillard, Indonesia’s emerging Muslim feminism: women leaders on equality, inheritance and other gender issues .Studia Islamika Vol 4, No 1, (1997).
• Ghunaymi, Abdul Ghani, Al-Lubab fi Sharah Al-Kitab, (in Arabic), ed. Muhammad Muhyuddin Abdul- Hamid, (Beirut: Al-Maktabah Al-Ilmiyyah).
• Group of scholars supervised by Majma Al-Buhuth Al-Islamiyyah bi Al-Azhar, Al-Tafsir Al-Wasit li Al-Quran Al-Karim, (In Arabic), (Madinah, KSA: Matbat Al-Musahaf Al-Sharif, 1992), 3st ed..
• Ibn Ashur, Muhammad, al-Tahrir wa Al-Tanwir, (In Arabic), (Tunisia: Al-Dar Al-Tunusiyyah li Al- Nashr, 1984), 1st ed..
• Ibn Kathir, Abu al-Fida Ismail bin Omar, Tafsir Al-Quran Al-Azim, (in Arabic), ed. Sami bin Muhammad Salamah, (Riyadh: Dar Taybah li Al-Nashr wa Al-Tawzi, 1990), 3rd ed..
• Ibn Majah, Abu Abdillah Muhammad ibn Yazid al-Qazwini, Al-Sunan, (in Arabic), ed. Muhammad Fuad Abdul-Baqi, (Cairo: Dar Ihya Al-Kutub Al-Arabiyyah).
• Tirmithi, Muhammad b. Isa, Al-Sunan, (in Arabic), ed. Bashar Awwad Maruf, (Beirut: Dar al-Gharb al-Islami), 1998.